- Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates
- Cloudsplitter by Russell Banks
- Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
- Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
- The Wall by John Hersey
- Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
It's so obvious that the anti-political-literature case is not truly believed even by those who argue for it that I won't belabor the point further. The issue, then, becomes why they keep saying it. And what they really mean.
To be continued.