Friday, February 13, 2009

Shameless self-promotion

I've been blogging a lot, and not writing enough, and although the two take up different pieces of my time, energy and creativity, blogging basically being a lunch-hour activity in a way that fiction writing can never be for me, still, things have tipped too far. So I plan to flip the equation over the three-day weekend. There's a story I've been working on for a long time and would very much like to finish. It has to do with the Palestinian struggle. Three days to try to get it done, or at least get it into good enough shape to be able to take to my writing group next week for critique. I almost never meet these sorts of artificial deadlines, but I do want to put in several good writing sessions. If I don't get the thing completely done I will at least move a goodly ways toward that goal. Let's hope.

So until next week, here's this: two stories of mine have just been published in literary magazines.

My story "John and Yoko and Rowena and Me" is in the Fall 2008 issue of Cream City Review. (The website hasn't yet been updated to show the new issue but the info on how to get a copy doesn't change.)

My story "The Typist's Widow" is in the 2009 issue of Stone Canoe. (The website does show the new issue, except in the 'how to purchase' section, but, as with CCR, what's up there is accurate. ... Isn't it cute how I imagine someone reading this blog might want to buy these journals to read my work?)