Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lambda on the Amazon "glitch"

There's been so much outrage everywhere about Amazon.com's apparent blocking out of LGBT books that I've seen no need to weigh in. But this is worth a link. It's a statement, dated yesterday, from the Lambda Literary Foundation and the president of its board of directors, Christopher Rice, who notes, "I have seen my first novel stripped of its sales ranking by this apparent computer glitch so I join other writers who are baffled to the point of anger."

As noted also everywhere today, by now Amazon has issued not an apology but an explanation of sorts. This whole business doesn't seem to me to be completely over. We shall see. I like Rice's pledge that "we at Lambda look forward to leading a sustained and impassioned dialogue on this issue" should it not be quickly and completely resolved.