Friday, April 3, 2009

From the substantive ...

... that is, the fight against the capitalists' drive to further enrich themselves by impoverishing the rest of us ...

to the silly, that is, a corner of pop culture that's recently ensnared me. To whit, Battlestar Gallactica. I realize that I've come to the craze late, as I so often do, in this case right after the series ended for good. I'd meant to check it out for a long time. Kept hearing good things about it. Finally, recently, I started watching. So far I've seen the opening mini-series and the first four episodes after that. I'm generally a pretty harsh critic of this genre, especially on TV where these sorts of series I've found to usually be incredibly badly written, full of the most ridiculous laughable stupidity, and just cheesy as all hell. But Battlestar Gallactica is different. The production values are really good; it doesn't look goofily fake. The story is intriguing, at least so far. And the writing is decent instead of snort-and-roll-my-eyes bad.

Good enough for me. I'm hooked. File this in the category of Even Communists Can Have Fun.