Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Occasions for self-loathing

  • The Kandinsky exhibit at the Guggenheim. It's been there since mid-September. I've had a note about it posted above my desk since then. It closes tomorrow. I never went. The $18 admission fee ... impossible viewing hours ... full schedule ... inertia ... sloth ... idiot idiot idiot.

  • The O'Keefe exhibit at the Whitney. The vagina paintings, quaintly titled "Abstraction." It's been there since mid-September. I've had a note about it posted above my desk since then. It closes in five days. I never went, and can't get there now. The $18 admission fee ... impossible viewing hours ... full schedule ... inertia ... sloth ... idiot idiot idiot.

  • All the books I haven't read. All the books I haven't written. All the fighting to fix the world I haven't done.

  • Shelves undusted. Rugs unvacuumed. Floors unswept. Laundry unlaundered. Life un...oh who knows. Yeah, it's that kind of day.

The missed opportunities. The falling short. The starting anew, again and again.

The starting anew.