Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Sterling Publishing has brought out a 40th anniversary edition of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Dee Brown's momentous correction of what was then, and mostly still is, the standard version of U.S. history.

Native journalist Tim Giago has an appreciation up today at Huffington Post.
The history of Wounded Knee is not such an ancient one to the Lakota people of 2009. Many Lakota living today had grandparents at Wounded Knee and some of them died there.
The ongoing incarceration of Native activist Leonard Peltier, behind bars for 34 years now for murders of which he is manifestly innocent, is but one illustration of the ongoing relevance of Dee Brown's book.

I think I read it in high school, soon after it first came out. I need to read it again. This new edition looks excellent. If that faculty committee that usually gives me a bookstore gift certificate for the holidays comes through again this year, I'm going to give it to myself.

(Thanks to Moby Lives for the links.)