Tuesday, June 30, 2009

On schedule, reading-wise

During my lunch hour today I finished reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. I'd made the decision to devote the month to it, started it in the beginning of June, and yay I finished it today right on schedule. Which is pure silliness, of course, caring about the calendar; still, I'm glad to have read it, glad to be done with it, ready to move on.

I may post some comments about this great fat classic novel. I also may not. A few semi-coherent thoughts are swimming around in my head, but at this point they don't feel urgent, original or necessary. At this point I'm still digesting the experience. If I feel I've got something to say that contributes a new idea, I'll post it.

For now, let Victor Hugo speak for himself:
I condemn slavery, I banish poverty, I teach ignorance, I treat disease, I lighten the night, and I hate hatred. That is what I am, and that is why I have written Les Miserables.