Monday, June 15, 2009

More quickie links

This is a month old but I only got a chance to read it yesterday ... and oh baby is it ever a hoot. "The Read: A Short Story" by Keir Graff, published in the May 15 Booklist. This piece of deliciousness is at once a parody of Cormac McCarthy's The Road -- and oh my golly 'tis a spot-on parody indeed, had me already howling with laughter at the word "bookwrack" in the second sentence, and in the next line, better yet, the word "unadhorn," and don't even get me started on "a deep sound like the tearing in half of the telephonebook of the world" -- and also a wicked send-up of the literary world. Now at last I know why the shorthand LOL was coined.

Kites, hip-hop and borders: a report from Gaza via ElectronicIntifada.net.
A friend recently told me that the late Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish once said that every night before he fell asleep he would walk the streets of his stolen city of al-Birwa in his mind. Each night he would remember the door to every home, every sign, every detail of his lost neighborhood.
Read the rest.

The opening paragraphs of my story "All The Ashleys in the World," the writing and publication of which prompted last month's post about white writers and people of color protagonists, is up on the Nimrod website.