Monday, November 10, 2008

Zine scene

Here's a contradiction. I claim to be all about words, all about political words, that is, or the politics of words, and yet my reading and writing life is spent mostly aboveground. Which is to say, I know next to nothing about the zine scene. Of course, the areas of my ignorance are vast and extend well beyond zines. They also include manga, graphic fiction, and other newer, edgier, more marginalized forms. Whether I can find my way toward an understanding or at least appreciation of them is yet to be seen. But I do want to try.

Which brings me to the new zine Absent Cause, edited by my friend Greg Butterfield. The first, glowing, review is out and posted on Greg's blog, also called Absent Cause (which phrase Greg explains here). I'm intrigued. And I'm going to give it a read.