Monday, November 10, 2008

Politics & words

My posts for the last week or so have been mostly about the political developments which I admit I've been obsessing about. Who hasn't? Things will tip back to the literary side soon. In the meantime, here, and here, you'll find some commentary about the presidential election that's so on-target and sharply written that, well, if it isn't art it's damned close.

Last week I nabbed one of the first copies, hot off the press and with a lovely inscription from the author to Teresa and me, of the new book from Worldview Publishers, Low Wage Capitalism: Colossus with Feet of Clay by Fred Goldstein. It was already a must-read, but in the wake of both the election and the massive job losses just announced -- with October's figures 2008 layoffs have already hit 1.2 million -- it feels even more urgent to read this. (Full disclosure: I'm named in the acknowledgments, which really wasn't necessary, for the very slight suggestion or two I made after reading the draft chapter on women and the LGBT community.)