Monday, July 6, 2009

Four for four

If relaxation means subsiding into a loose, lackadaisical state, letting thoughts lapse and mind drift into repose, I haven't achieved it yet. If to relax is to pass the time restfully doing that best-loved thing, then oh yeah baby, I'm relaxed, because I've spent these initial few days of my vacation reading.

Four days off. Four books read. This is the life!

I finished Attica Locke's terrific novel Black Water Rising the first evening off. Since then, I've read two other novels, Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih and Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr., and one nonfiction book, Dread by Philip Alcabes. I'm feeling too lazy to comment substantively about any of them; instead I'll just report that on the Goodreads five-star scale I gave Currie's book three and four stars to each of the others.

No writing yet. I'm hoping, and expect based on past patterns, that after a week or so of reading and doing little else I'll awake one morning with my own sentences running through my head and be propelled toward the keyboard to get back to work on my novel in progress.