Friday, April 16, 2010

And yesterday here in NYC

Apparently some Tea Party grouping had the nerve to make a Tax Day appearance in Manhattan last night outside the main post office at 33rd Street, and somehow, even though they only heard about it minutes before, a fair number of people got over there to provide a left counter-force. They did a good job from what I hear, and were boosted by non-stop support from passersby and motorists. I didn't know any of this was happening, which to be honest I'm kind of relieved at, because last night I was at Judson Memorial Church to see and hear Ngugi wa Thiong'o, and if I'd known there was a call to mobilize against the racist rightists I'd have felt compelled to go do that instead.

I'll blog about the Ngugi event soon. For now, a couple of shots from last night.

This second one shows my comrade Fred Goldstein, author of the essential book Low-Wage Capitalism, calling Lou Dobbs a "racist demagogue."

(Photos by John Catalinotto)