Friday, May 15, 2009

Ghassan Kanafani & Gaza

One corner of that vast expanse occupied by the areas of my ignorance is Arab literature. I've been trying to adddress this, slowly, book by book. Now comes this in Granta, which has made me very keen to read work by Ghassan Kanafani. He was a Palestinian writer. A very political one. A member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, with which I have a strong affinity. He is also a martyr for the Palestinian struggle, assassinated by the Zionist terror police Mossad.
A few of Kanafani's novels and short story collections are available in English. I'm going to look for them.

The Granta piece itself, by Hisham Matar, is interesting in its own right for his points about Israel's propaganda during and after its Gaza atrocities. Link thanks to Laila Lalami.